How will I know if my child’s ADHD medication is working?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
With the help of your child's teachers and other important adults in their life, you and the doctor will be able to assess whether your child's ADHD medications have a positive effect. Your child's pediatrician or psychologist may be able to give you behavior checklists to use to monitor your child's progress. Bring these lists to your doctor visits, and discuss your child's progress. Your child's doctor may want to adjust the medication dosage based on these reports.

It is quite likely that ADHD medications can help your child. The National Resource Center for ADHD reports that ADHD stimulant medications work for 70% to 80% of children. However, the medication must be taken regularly, every day, for a child to experience regular, daily benefits.

Continue Learning about ADHD

What are common reasons adults with ADD fail?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
The following are some common reasons that adults with ADD fail:Not listening to others Not follow...
How can recklessness affect adults with ADD?
Recklessness can get attention deficit disorder (ADD) adults into trouble. When you embark on a wi...
Are adults with ADD more aware of other people's thoughts and feelings?
In adults with attention deficit disorder (ADD), spaciness can actually be seen as a gift of reading...
How Can Adult ADHD Affect My Marriage?
How Can Adult ADHD Affect My Marriage?