Why do some women still have loose skin after a tummy tuck?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Some women will continue to have loose skin after a tummy tuck if they have significant amount of skin laxity in other parts of the midriff area. This can include the buttock, the posterior back, and the flanks. In order to do a complete skin removal of the mid torso for patients who had massive weight loss after gastric bypass surgery, it is sometimes required to do a belt lipectomy in which a scar is made circumferentially around the entire body and skin is removed circumferentially. Secondly, skin on the flank areas can sometimes show a different fold which cannot be taken at the same time as the tummy tuck due to blood supply reasons.

Continue Learning about Abdominoplasty Or Tummy Tuck

How can I prepare myself for a tummy tuck?
Tara WhitworthTara Whitworth
The most important thing you can do before any procedure is to educate yourself. Read through all in...
Is it painful to have drainage tubes removed after tummy tuck surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
There is a myth circulating through the rumor mill that pulling out the drain tubes is painful. ...
What Is a Tummy Tuck?
What Is a Tummy Tuck?
What Is an Abdominoplasty?
What Is an Abdominoplasty?