What is energy imbalance?

Energy balance is the relationship between your energy intake and your energy expenditure, which are both measured in calories. Your basal metabolism, the thermic effect of food, and your physical activities all determine your daily energy needs.

Energy imbalance occurs when you consume either fewer or more calories than you need daily and can result in weight loss or weight gain. Over time, a chronic energy imbalance results in a change in body weight, either weight loss or weight gain.

Continue Learning about Energy Boosters

Exercise That Can Help Boost Your Mood
Exercise That Can Help Boost Your Mood
When your emotional well-being is in need of a "tune up," follow this simple rule for feeling better: take more walks. A strong body of research sugg...
How does my body use energy during exercise?
How does my body use energy during exercise? Muscles get energy to propel you along by tapping into ...
5 Ways to Beat the Afternoon Slump
5 Ways to Beat the Afternoon Slump5 Ways to Beat the Afternoon Slump5 Ways to Beat the Afternoon Slump5 Ways to Beat the Afternoon Slump
And we're not talking about caffeine. The post-lunch, early afternoon coma: We’ve all been there. And believe it or not, there’s actually some scienc...
Boost Your Energy Level in 11 Steps
Boost Your Energy Level in 11 StepsBoost Your Energy Level in 11 StepsBoost Your Energy Level in 11 StepsBoost Your Energy Level in 11 Steps
Recharge your batteries so you can keep on going like the Energizer bunny. Everyone feels tired now and then, but are your energy stores totally deple...