What is energy imbalance?

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
Energy imbalance is one of the main causes for most of our health issues here in America. Energy imbalance means that people are not naturally creating or using energy throughout the day, which causes more exaggerated highs and lows of energy.

Energy imbalance means a deficiency in one or more of the following: nutrition, exercise, sleep and "me time." If any of these are not at an optimum level, it lowers your productivity, immune system, and positive family dynamics.
Mom Energy: A Simple Plan to Live Fully Charged

From celebrated dietitian Ashley Koff and fitness trainer to the stars Kathy Kaehler comes Mom Energy, an exciting new way for moms to tap into their own natural and renewable sources of...

Energy balance is the relationship between your energy intake and your energy expenditure, which are both measured in calories. Your basal metabolism, the thermic effect of food, and your physical activities all determine your daily energy needs.

Energy imbalance occurs when you consume either fewer or more calories than you need daily and can result in weight loss or weight gain. Over time, a chronic energy imbalance results in a change in body weight, either weight loss or weight gain.

Yogi Cameron Alborzian
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

When we look at the relative health or lack of health in the body, we must consider the significance of energy. Ayurvedic tradition teaches us that our energy is defined by three doshas, each of which embodies a specific kind of energy. Vata energy is of the quality of the air element and regulates the movement of our body and within our body. Pitta energy is of the quality of the fire element and regulates the efficiency with which we're able to metabolize the food and other substances we consume. Kapha energy is of the quality of the earth element and regulates the sturdiness and form of our body.

If any one of these three doshas exists in a state of imbalance, our energy experiences imbalance in turn and we experience the onset of illness and/or disease. Vata, Pitta, and Kapha imbalances all lead to illness specific to one or more of the doshas, and finding greater energetic balance will resolve the illness in time.

Continue Learning about Energy Boosters

Surprising Ways Holiday Giving is Good for You
Ever wonder why people keep giving to charity, especially when times are tough and you'd think everyone's just hardwired to survive? (Americans donate...
How does sugar affect my energy level?
Simple sugars, such as those found in candy bars, soft drinks, and white breads are a recipe for an ...
5 Ways to Beat the Afternoon Slump
5 Ways to Beat the Afternoon Slump5 Ways to Beat the Afternoon Slump5 Ways to Beat the Afternoon Slump5 Ways to Beat the Afternoon Slump
And we're not talking about caffeine.
What Foods Can I Eat to Increase My Energy Level?