What are the long term effects of a tummy tuck?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Patient's who undergo tummy tuck or abdominoplasty procedure usually have a longstanding and enduring result. During an abdominoplasty procedure skin and fatty tissue is removed from the abdominal wall. Suctioning is often also accomplished through tumescent liposuction technique on the hip areas. Once this fat and skin is removed it is permanently removed. It shall never come back. However the residual fat cells certainly can become hypertrophied and enlarge if a patient has increased weight gain through poor diet or exercise. The tightening of the rectus sheath and rectus muscles is a permanent tightening. In general this can be however enhanced with significant abdominal wall exercising with a trainer post surgically. In general, the majority of patients who have undergone abdominoplasty procedures have been content with the result and many years later still have flat stomachs. Certainly the scarring associated with the bikini like scar extending from hip to hip as well as around the belly button region can be unpredictable and therefore the scarring associated with a tummy tuck should be weighed against the improved result of the flattening of the abdominal wall.

Continue Learning about Abdominoplasty Or Tummy Tuck

How is a full tummy tuck performed?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
In a full tummy tuck, an incision is made in the lower abdomen. If there are no scars on the low...
What are my options if I am unhappy with my tummy tuck results?
Erik A. Hoy, MDErik A. Hoy, MD
The first step in dealing with any unpleasant result in plastic surgery should be to consult with yo...
At what age is it appropriate to receive a tummy tuck?
Erik A. Hoy, MDErik A. Hoy, MD
While there are no strict guidelines in terms of age for patients undergoing tummy tuck procedures, ...
Why do some women still have loose skin after a tummy tuck?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Some women will continue to have loose skin after a tummy tuck if they have significant amount of sk...