Are there any side effects of vaginal lubricants?

Evelyn Minaya, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

Most vaginal lubricants are free of side effects -- but there can be exceptions. In this video, obstetrician and gynecologist Dr. Evelyn Minaya explains. 

The use of vaginal lubricants relieves uncomfortable or painful side effects associated with vaginal dryness, including:

• itching
• burning
• painful intercourse
• bleeding
• urgent urinary urgency

Vaginal lubricants are not expected to cause any adverse side effects. However, you should check the ingredients label on your lubricant in case you have allergies. Discontinue use and contact your doctor right away if you experience signs of an allergic reaction such as:

• hives
• skin rash
• difficulty breathing
• swelling of the face, tongue, or throat

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Worst Case Scenario . . . I Left My Tampon In Too Long
When you’re having a busy day, changing your tampon can be the last thing on your mind. Waiting too long to change it, however, can lead to serious he...
How often should I have a clinical breast exam?
St. Mary Medical CenterSt. Mary Medical Center
Most doctors agree that a woman should have a clinical breast exam once a year. And it’s important t...
6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know
6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know
Get the most out of your next OBGYN appointment with these expert tips.
How Can Women Close the Gender Gap in Obtaining Heart Disease Care?