What are the reasons for menstrual bleeding in senior adults?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
Women who have passed through menopause should not have any vaginal bleeding. Vaginal bleeding in senior adults always needs to be examined. It may come from fragile tissue in the vagina. It may be a benign growth like a polyp on the cervix or inside the uterus. A somewhat frequent cause of bleeding in this age group though is actually abnormal cells, including cancer cells, inside the uterus. Senior adults with vaginal bleeding need to contact their health care providers.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

The One Tampon Complication Can Be Life-Threatening
The tampon was invented in 1929 by Dr. Earl Haas, and many women immediately found it to be a more convenient option. But having your period was a tab...
Should I be concerned if my blood clots during menstruation?
Blood clots during menstruation may be normal. If your blood clots are accompanied by other symptoms...
Severe Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t Ignore
Severe Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t Ignore
We all have bleeding and cramping, but these red flags may mean it's time to see your gyno.
What Is PMS?
What Is PMS?