What are the reasons for menstrual bleeding in senior adults?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
Women who have passed through menopause should not have any vaginal bleeding. Vaginal bleeding in senior adults always needs to be examined. It may come from fragile tissue in the vagina. It may be a benign growth like a polyp on the cervix or inside the uterus. A somewhat frequent cause of bleeding in this age group though is actually abnormal cells, including cancer cells, inside the uterus. Senior adults with vaginal bleeding need to contact their health care providers.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

The One Tampon Complication Can Be Life-Threatening
The tampon was invented in 1929 by Dr. Earl Haas, and many women immediately found it to be a more convenient option. But having your period was a tab...
Is there a way to delay the menstrual cycle for a life event?
Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MDDr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
There are numerous birth control pill options that you can take and have only 4 menstrual cycles per...
When should I see a doctor for my periods?
You should call your doctor if vaginal bleeding lasts more than seven days, since it may be a sign o...
Are There Alternative Treatments for Menstrual Problems?