Are amenorrhea and menopause both the end of menstruation?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Menopause is the permanent end to the reproductive life of a woman which marks the end of all monthly periods of bleeding. Menopause usually occurs when a woman is in her early fifties. Amenorrhea is the absence of menstrual periods. Amenorrhea may occur before you begin menstruating, when you get pregnant or are breastfeeding, or because of extreme exercise, weight loss, or stress. Amenorrhea may indicate a more serious condition, so consult your doctor if your periods stop and you do not know the underlying cause.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

How does basal body temperature vary in menstrual cycle?
Before ovulation, waking temperatures range about 97.0 to 97.5 0Fahrenheit, and after about 97.6 to ...
What causes stomach pain during my menstrual cycle?
Abdominal pain during the menstrual cycle can have more than one cause. Learn more from our experts ...
What are the reasons for menstrual bleeding in senior adults?
What are the reasons for menstrual bleeding in senior adults? Vaginal bleeding in senior adults need...
When should I talk to my doctor about changes in my period?
If you know what's typical for you -- and what's not -- you should be proactive and talk to your doc...