What is the difference between atrial fibrillation and irregular heartbeat?

The difference between atrial fibrillation and irregular heartbeat is that irregular heartbeat is a general term to describe any abnormal heart rhythm and atrial fibrillation is a specific diagnosis. Irregular heartbeat could include heartbeats that are too fast, too slow or irregular for any reason. Atrial fibrillation is a specific diagnosis that relates to the small part of the heart (the atrium) beating "out of control" fast, resulting in an irregular heartbeat.

Continue Learning about Arrhythmia

Heart Defects at Birth May Affect Heart Rhythm—Even Years Later
Odds are, you’ve heard of a congenital heart defect (CHD). It’s the most common type of birth defect—a problem with one or more structures of the hear...
How does arrhythmia affect the body?
In serious cases, arrhythmia can cause the formation of blood clots and permanently damage the heart...
How should I recover at home after cardioversion?
How should I recover at home after cardioversion? Rest and relax, you may feel weak or tired for the...
6 Rules for People With an Irregular Heartbeat
6 Rules for People With an Irregular Heartbeat6 Rules for People With an Irregular Heartbeat6 Rules for People With an Irregular Heartbeat6 Rules for People With an Irregular Heartbeat
Sex, exercise and other activities may be completely safe for those with AFib. Atrial fibrillation (AFib) is a heart condition in which the heart pum...