question

What are the most dangerous chemicals in cigarettes?

Discovery Health
Discovery Health
answer

There are more than 4,000 chemicals in each cigarette. Here's a list of some of the most dangerous:

• Ammonia-This is used to boost the absorption rate of nicotine.
  • Arsenic-This is used to protect tobacco plants from pests, but remains in the resulting cigarette.
  • Cadmium-This metallic compound in tobacco comes from acidic soil.
  • Formaldehyde-This byproduct of cigarette smoke is the same colorless gas commonly used to preserve bodies for burial.
  • Acetone-This byproduct from burning a cigarette is the same stuff found in nail polish remover.
  • Butane-This byproduct also is used to help you light your cigarette, as an ingredient in lighter fluid.
  • Propylene Glycol-This is added to keep tobacco from drying out and to speed up the delivery of nicotine to the brain.
  • Turpentine-This adds flavor to menthol cigarettes.
  • Benzene-This is another byproduct from burning a cigarette and can be found in pesticides and gasoline.
  • Lead and Nickel-These are metals.

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Are clove cigarettes healthier than regular cigarettes?
Are clove cigarettes healthier than regular cigarettes? Clove cigarettes contain a mixture of tobacc...
Will I always have cravings for nicotine after I quit?
Will I always have cravings for nicotine after I quit? Learn more from our experts about if you will...
5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings
5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings
Quitting is hard, but not impossible. You know how bad smoking is for you. It’s the leading cause of preventable death in the US, responsible for more...
Shocking Smoking Facts That Will Make You Want to Quit Today
Shocking Smoking Facts That Will Make You Want to Quit TodayShocking Smoking Facts That Will Make You Want to Quit TodayShocking Smoking Facts That Will Make You Want to Quit TodayShocking Smoking Facts That Will Make You Want to Quit Today
Smoking not only causes cancer and heart and lung disease, but it’s associated with stress, reproductive problems and more. Smoking causes roughly 48...