Will I always have cravings for nicotine after I quit?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

You won't always have intense cravings for nicotine after you quit smoking. The severity of your withdrawal symptoms depends on how long and often you smoked. Nicotine addiction is said to be as powerful as addictions to alcohol, cocaine and heroin. When you first quit, the craving for nicotine will feel strong for about three months. The longer you stay away from cigarettes, the fewer cravings you'll experience.

Avoid the triggers that make you want to smoke, such as drinking alcohol, while you are adjusting to life as a nonsmoker. Also, talk to your doctor about using medication and, possibly, nicotine replacement therapy in the first several months after you quit to help reduce your cravings.

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Will my body ever get back to normal after I quit smoking?
Learn more to know if your body wiil ever get back to normal after you quit smoking.
Is smoking a pipe or cigars better for me than smoking cigarettes?
Pipe smoking causes less lung cancer than cigarette smoking since pipe smokers usually don't inhale ...
Why do some people who smoke live longer than others?
Why do some people who smoke live longer than others? Some people are physiologically less susceptib...
What is the social impact of smoking?
What is the social impact of smoking? Smoking is less socially acceptable now than ever. Learn more ...