How are fat-soluble vitamins absorbed by the body?

Rather than slipping easily into the bloodstream like most water-soluble vitamins, fat-soluble vitamins gain entry to the blood via lymph channels in the intestinal wall. Many fat-soluble vitamins travel through the body only under escort by proteins that act as carriers.

The following describes how fat-soluble vitamins are absorbed by the body:

1. Food containing fat-soluble vitamins is ingested.
  2. The food is digested by stomach acid and then travels to the small intestine, where it is digested further. Bile is needed for the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins. This substance, which is produced in the liver, flows into the small intestine, where it breaks down fats. Nutrients are then absorbed through the wall of the small intestine.
  3. Upon absorption, the fat-soluble vitamins enter the lymph vessels before making their way into the bloodstream. In most cases, fat-soluble vitamins must be coupled with a protein in order to travel through the body.
  4. These vitamins are used throughout the body, but excesses are stored in the liver and fat tissues.
  5. As additional amounts of these vitamins are needed, your body taps into the reserves, releasing them into the bloodstream from the liver.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

Folate-Rich Foods May Reduce Colon Cancer
A leafy salad loaded with broccoli never looked so good. Just see it through the eyes of a recent study. It will start to look like a delicious green ...
Should I take vitamins even if I eat right?
Should I take vitamins even if I eat right? In the category of Things Your Mother Was Right About Al...
Are there tests to determine if I need to take vitamins?
Are there tests to determine if I need to take vitamins? Yes, there are tests to determine if you ne...
Which vitamins are important for good sex?
Which vitamins are important for good sex? L-arginine, pycnogenol, omega-3s, and vitamins C and E ei...