What is a proctocolectomy?

A proctocolectomy is a surgical procedure where the anus, rectum and colon are removed. This is typically the surgery that is required if surgical treatment for ulcerative colitis is being considered.

Proctocolectomy is removal of the entire colon and rectum and is the most common surgery for ulcerative colitis. Since ulcerative colitis involves only the large bowel, this operation is considered curative. A proctocolectomy is combined with ileostomy, which creates a small opening in the abdominal wall where the tip of the lower small intestine, the ileum, is brought to the skin's surface to allow drainage of waste

Continue Learning about Ulcerative Colitis

Got Ulcerative Colitis? Make Sure to Protect Your Skin
As if dealing with diarrhea, stomach pain and fatigue wasn’t hard enough, there’s another major concern for people with ulcerative colitis, a type of ...
What are the benefits of fecal transplants for ulcerative colitis?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Fecal transplant, or fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT), is considered an experimental treatment...
What causes ulcerative colitis (UC)?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
We can learn a lot by considering why doesn’t everyone have IBD?  Everyone experiences inflammation ...
How Does Ulcerative Colitis Affect My Body?