How does pancolitis affect the body?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Pancolitis causes inflammation and sores throughout the entire colon, or large intestine. Usually, the disease only affects the lining of the colon. The irritation in the lining of the intestine and rectum can lead to severe diarrhea because it triggers the colon to empty itself. Obviously, this affects digestive issues and can cause symptoms like abdominal cramps and rectal bleeding. Depending on the severity of the condition, pancolitis may also lead to non-digestive issues, such as joint pain and osteoperosis.

Continue Learning about Ulcerative Colitis

Why People with Ulcerative Colitis Need to See a Dermatologist
As if dealing with diarrhea, stomach pain and fatigue wasn’t hard enough, there’s another major concern for people with ulcerative colitis (UC), a typ...
What is pancolitis?
Pancolitis is a disease that causes the lining of most or the entire colon to become inflamed. Panco...
What It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative Colitis
What It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative ColitisWhat It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative ColitisWhat It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative ColitisWhat It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative Colitis
Life with UC has its struggles—and also its triumphs. Here's one patient's story. When I was 14 years old, my family physician demanded the gastroente...
How Does Ulcerative Colitis Affect My Body?