What is the principle of adaptation?

The principle of adaptation refers to the process of the body getting accustomed to a particular exercise or training program through repeated exposure. As the body adapts to the stress of the new exercise or training program, the program becomes easier to perform and explains why beginning exercisers are often sore after starting a new routine, but, after doing the same exercise for weeks and months at the same intensity, the exerciser experiences little, if any, muscle soreness. This reinforces the need to constantly vary the exercise and training routine if you want to maximize your results.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans need to move more and sit less. That’s been the clear-cut message from government health officials since they issued physical activity guide...
How do I do an overhead press to strengthen my arms and shoulders?
You can strengthen your arm and shoulder muscles by doing an overhead press exercise using free weig...
How do I perform a bench dumbbell triceps extension with 1 arm?
Lie on your back on a bench, with your legs bent and feet placed shoulder width apart.  Hold a dumbb...
Why Should I Consult My Doctor Before Starting an Exercise Program?