Should I take breaks when exercising?

Whether or not to take breaks while exercising is dependent on your current health and fitness levels, the intensity of the exercise and your goals.  If you start to become out of breathe, experience dizziness, or extreme fatigue then breaks are appropriate. If performing resistance training exercises or exercises of a high intensity in nature requires breaks in between sets is important to prevent injury. The more intense the activity the longer and more frequent the rest periods should be. 

Absolutely! It is important to give your muscles a chance to rest and allow them the repair and get stronger. Without proper recovery time, areas of wear and tear become weak links and are more prone to injury and will less likely be able to show strength gains.

Brian Yee
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Yes you should take breaks when exercising. For various reasons such as cardiac, muscular endurance, injury/pain history and other things you should consult with a qualified health practitioner to determine when to take the proper break according to your individual health status.

Take frequent breaks. Even tennis pros rest between sets. Taking a rest doesn't mean that you have to completely stop all activity (although it may be advisable sometimes). Just rest the body parts that are working hard and are susceptible to injury.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Health Experts Urge Americans to Move More, Sit Less
Americans need to move more and sit less. That’s the clear-cut message from government health officials who updated their long-standing physical activ...
How do I perform a standing cable diagonal raise?
Stand with your feet pointed straight ahead and placed shoulder width apart.  Keep your knees slight...
How do I perform Prancing?
Run forward with short, quick steps, keeping your legs straight and kicking your feet out in fro...
Can Rigorous Exercise Stave Off the Symptoms of Parkinson's?