How do I know if I've overextended my arm?

If it hurts to straighten your arm, then you may have overextended your arm. Your biceps muscle, known as the biceps brachii, starts from your shoulder on the scapula and attaches on the radius (the thumb-side bone of the two bones in the forearm) by the elbow. It may be that you have damaged this muscle to some extent. This causes pain when bending your elbow and trying to straighten your arm completely.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Southern Utah University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Don’t be a Turkey this Turkey Bowl Season
Dr. Mike’s Cleveland Clinic sees plenty; so does Dr. Oz’s New York Presbyterian Hospital -- emergency room visits for sprains, broken bones, contusion...
Weekend Warrior: Simple Self-Care for Minor Strains, Sprains and Bruises
Whether you're an athlete or a semi-out-of-shape desk lounger who hasn't seen a gym in months, soft-tissue injuries (think strains, sprains, and bruis...
What are the symptoms of skier's thumb?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
Most people report signs of swelling, bruising, and pain following an injury to the thumb at the joi...
How soon can my son resume playing basketball after a groin strain?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Groin strains can be very painful injuries. Pain is a good indication that an athlete is not rea...