How do I know if I've overextended my arm?

If it hurts to straighten your arm, then you may have overextended your arm. Your biceps muscle, known as the biceps brachii, starts from your shoulder on the scapula and attaches on the radius (the thumb-side bone of the two bones in the forearm) by the elbow. It may be that you have damaged this muscle to some extent. This causes pain when bending your elbow and trying to straighten your arm completely.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Southern Utah University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Don’t be a Turkey this Turkey Bowl Season
Dr. Mike’s Cleveland Clinic sees plenty; so does Dr. Oz’s New York Presbyterian Hospital -- emergency room visits for sprains, broken bones, contusion...
What is a Lisfranc injury?
A Lisfranc injury occurs in the midfoot, where the longer bones extending to the toes meet the bones...
What is the first aid treatment for sprains and strains?
First aid treatment for sprains and strains consists of the RICE treatment: Resting the limb A...
What is a hyperextended finger injury?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
A hyperextended finger injury occurs when the ligaments on the palm side of your fingers stretch...