Why is my ankle black and blue?

If your ankle is black and blue, it is a sign that damage has occurred to the soft tissues (i.e., muscle, tendon, skin, fat) in your ankle. The black and blue appearance of your ankle occurs because tiny blood vessels within the soft tissues (called capillaries) have been torn. When these tiny vessels are damaged, blood is allowed to escape the vessels and leak into the tissue. This black and blue appearance (a.k.a., bruising) can linger for several days, but will usually go away on its own. The bruising may change colors over several days because of chemical processes that are happening in the area. There is no need for concern regarding the changing color of a bruise.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

How soon after a sprain can I start exercising again?
After a sprain, when you can start exercising again depends on the type of sprain. Learn more from o...
Why should I avoid wearing a neck brace for a minor neck sprain?
Why should I avoid wearing a neck brace for a minor neck sprain? Years ago, soft neck collars were r...
How is a sprain diagnosed?
How is a sprain diagnosed? Doctors may diagnose a sprain using a combination of methods. Learn more ...
When can I play sports after a wrist sprain?
When can I play sports after a wrist sprain? You should always follow the guidelines the doctor has ...