question

Can I donate blood if I have high blood pressure?

American Red Cross
American Red Cross
answer
You may donate blood as long as your blood pressure is below 180 systolic (first number) and below 100 diastolic (second number) at the time of donation. Medications for high blood pressure do not disqualify you from donating.  
Guidelines on eligibility to give blood change from time to time. The most up-to-date eligibility information can be obtained by contacting the American Red Cross blood center nearest you.

Continue Learning about Hypertension

3 Steps to Lower Your Blood Pressure Levels
Your blood pressure is perhaps the most important set of health numbers you should know, because few things age your body as quickly as high blood pre...
The Mysteries of High Blood Pressure
The Mysteries of High Blood Pressure
When we hear "high blood pressure," most of us think about cutting back on sodium. But the causes of high blood pressure are so much more complex than...
Sleep Apnea Treatment May Ease High Blood Pressure
If you have high blood pressure, you're probably on a doctor-backed eating and exercise plan to help lower those BP numbers. But did you know your sle...
Is fluctuating blood pressure more dangerous than high blood pressure?
Blood pressure that fluctuates or varies widely increases the risk of having a stroke. Learn more fr...