Why Your Blood Pressure Matters
Doctors worry about high blood pressure, or hypertension, because it puts you at risk for heart disease, stroke, Alzheimer's and other conditions that can take years off your life. In fact, maintaining a normal blood pressure is one of the keys to staying healthy as you age.
Think Your Blood Pressure
Try AskMDGet personalized advice for managing your high blood pressure
The estimated percentage of Americans with
high blood pressure
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Troy L. Randle, DO
Cardiology, Internal Medicine
Lourdes Medical Center
How can young people's blood pressure predict their health as they age?
A young person's diastolic blood pressure can be an indicator of heart health with age. If diastolic blood pressure is elevated and not controlled when a person is younger, this can indicate two things. One, the heart and...
- Q How does high blood pressure damage the heart?
- Q Why do fruits and vegetables help lower blood pressure?
- Q How common is secondary high blood pressure?
- Q What does it mean if my blood pressure reading is high?
- Q What is high blood pressure?
- Q Into what categories can high blood pressure (BP) be divided?
- Q What are the types of chronic hypertension?
- Q What exercises can I do if I have high blood pressure?
- Q What tests will I need if I have high blood pressure?
- Q What is isolated systolic hypertension?
Recent Hypertension Articles
If you've been diagnosed with hypertension, it's time to take control of your blood pressure with our action plans.
Sleep Apnea Treatment May Ease High Blood Pressure Have High Blood Pressure? Don’t Eat This Hypertension: Salt Still Matters Getting Hypertension Treatment But Don't Need it? See All Articles