Why Your Blood Pressure Matters
Doctors worry about high blood pressure, or hypertension, because it puts you at risk for heart disease, stroke, Alzheimer's and other conditions that can take years off your life. In fact, maintaining a normal blood pressure is one of the keys to staying healthy as you age.
Think Your Blood Pressure
Try AskMDGet personalized advice for managing your high blood pressure
The estimated percentage of Americans with
high blood pressure
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Troy L. Randle, DO
Cardiology, Internal Medicine
Lourdes Medical Center
How can young people's blood pressure predict their health as they age?
A young person's diastolic blood pressure can be an indicator of heart health with age. If diastolic blood pressure is elevated and not controlled when a person is younger, this can indicate two things. One, the heart and...
- Q How common is treatment-resistant hypertension?
- Q What is isolated systolic hypertension?
- Q How do other conditions affect secondary high blood pressure?
- Q What is pseudohypertension?
- Q Why is hypertension more dangerous for women?
- Q How does high blood pressure damage the heart?
- Q Why do fruits and vegetables help lower blood pressure?
- Q How costly is high blood pressure (hypertension)?
- Q What can women do about high blood pressure?
- Q What daily activities can I do to help lower my blood pressure?