Why Your Blood Pressure Matters
Doctors worry about high blood pressure, or hypertension, because it puts you at risk for heart disease, stroke, Alzheimer's and other conditions that can take years off your life. In fact, maintaining a normal blood pressure is one of the keys to staying healthy as you age.
Think Your Blood Pressure
Try AskMDGet personalized advice for managing your high blood pressure
The estimated percentage of Americans with
high blood pressure
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Troy L. Randle, DO
Cardiology, Internal Medicine
Lourdes Medical Center
How can young people's blood pressure predict their health as they age?
A young person's diastolic blood pressure can be an indicator of heart health with age. If diastolic blood pressure is elevated and not controlled when a person is younger, this can indicate two things. One, the heart and...
- Q How often should I check my blood pressure if I have hypertension?
- Q What is chronic hypertension?
- Q When should I seek immediate help if I have chronic hypertension?
- Q What does it mean if my blood pressure reading is high?
- Q What exercises can I do if I have high blood pressure?
- Q Why is hypertension called the silent killer?
- Q What is stage 1 hypertension?
- Q What high sodium foods should I eliminate?
- Q What are normal high blood pressure numbers?
- Q Can I donate blood if I have high blood pressure?