What is a pre-performance routine?

A pre-performance routine can be used prior to an event as a way to control the environment, provide stability in a highly unstable environment, trigger concentration, help decrease anxiety, and provide positive focus to someone who normally engages in negative self talk. Many athletes develop their own routine prior to an event, unconsciously emerging from superstitious beliefs that have developed over the years about what may have caused an excellent performance. Examples of things that may be contained in a pre-performance routine include: eating the same food before an event, putting clothes on in a certain order, wearing specific clothes, warming up in a certain way, taking some deep breaths, listening to a certain kind of music, and using the same positive key words.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Fun Way to Get More Steps: Try Walking Football
We knew Landon Donovan’s career was winding down when he wasn’t named to the last U.S. World Cup Soccer Team. After he retired in 2014 everyone assume...
How can I assess my side-to-side movement speed for combat sports?
The shark skill test is a great assessment for multiple plane movement, coordination and balance...
What are the different schools of thought on carbohydrate loading?
The old school of thought was a two stage process in which an athlete would first carb deplete over ...
How can being in love improve my athletic performance?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Love is the drug for better athletic performance. According to a study from California State Univers...