question

Is being fit different than being prepared for sports performance?

National Academy of Sports Medicine
National Academy of Sports Medicine
answer
Yes a person can be fit but not be prepared for sports performance.  Fitness means having the ability to perform daily tasks with ease and having a good level of muscular strength and endurance, aerobic capacity and flexibility.  Success in most sports requires specialized forms of fitness and training and skill in that particular sport. For example, to be successful at baseball a person requires above average levels of eye hand coordination, reaction time, speed, agility and a knowledge of the rules of the game. Baseball does not require high levels of aerobic fitness to be successful. On the other hand, to be a successful triathlete requires high levels of aerobic fitness but relatively low levels of eye hand coordination and reaction time. Both athletes are very successful at their sport but have much different levels of “fitness."  

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

How can I get stronger so I do not get pushed around the basketball court?
How can I get stronger so I do not get pushed around the basketball court? The training that has the...
How often should I train for my sport?
Typically, six days per week with time split between conditioning and skill practice.
What are the rules about wearing jewelry in college sports?
What are the rules about wearing jewelry in college sports? All jewelry must be removed for games. L...
How Many Calories Do Elite Athletes Burn Playing Summer Sports?
How Many Calories Do Elite Athletes Burn Playing Summer Sports?How Many Calories Do Elite Athletes Burn Playing Summer Sports?How Many Calories Do Elite Athletes Burn Playing Summer Sports?How Many Calories Do Elite Athletes Burn Playing Summer Sports?
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summertime games. When you’re an elite athlete, it's critical to track the number of ca...