Can I have an allergic reaction to kissing?

It’s not the kiss itself but something involved in the kiss that is probably causing your lips to itch and swell. Lipstick, lip balm, and food that may have been consumed and that lingers in the saliva or on the lips, can also be causing the reaction. Even if the person kissing you brushes his teeth, saliva can still contain the allergen for up to 24 hours. If you have allergies, make a new partner aware of the specific allergens.

Continue Learning about Allergies

Know Before You Go: What Is an Allergy Test Like?
If you have allergies, you’re not alone. More than 50 million Americans have allergies, making them the sixth most common cause of chronic illness. Bu...
Allergies: Is Cleanliness at the Root of the Problem?
"Don't touch that, it's dirty!" Modern society doesn't like germs. In fact, we've become so obsessed with cleanliness that we go to great lengths to p...
When should I go to the emergency room (ER) for an allergic reaction?
Westside Regional Medical Center - HCA East FloridaWestside Regional Medical Center - HCA East Florida
Allergic reactions vary by severity and how they look. You may have a rash only in a small area, whi...
What are common indoor allergens?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Allergies occur when your body has an exaggerated response to a harmless substance, known as an alle...