Why should I do shoulder-strengthening exercises?

There is no denying that a pair of sculpted shoulders looks great on everyone. The definition around the shoulders helps enhance a man or female's frame and is the perfect accessory to a sleeveless shirt or dress.

Shoulder training has several benefits beyond the aesthetic; it enhances posture and strengthens the muscles surrounding the shoulder joint, creating more stability and an overall sturdier body structure. The shoulder joint is one of the most delicate joints. The shoulder joint allows a greater range of movement (think about doing arm circles). When the muscles surrounding the shoulder joint are weak, this movement can become altered, creating instability and often leading to injury. Keeping the shoulders free from injury means training the rotator cuff (muscles that stabilize the shoulder) as well as the deltoid muscle (the muscle you can see that surrounds the shoulder). The shoulder joint has several key stabilizers that act to keep the shoulder moving optimally, allowing enhanced definition around the shoulder. Training the muscles of the rotator cuff (subscapularis, supraspinatus, infraspinatus, and teres minor) will stabilize the shoulder joint, helping you avoid injuries.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Will resistance training make me less flexible?
Will resistance training make me less flexible? Resistance training can make you less flexible if yo...
What are FITT guidelines for strength training?
What are FITT guidelines for strength training? Learn more from our experts about FITT guidelines fo...
What equipment do I need for strength training?
What equipment do I need for strength training? You can get a complete strength workout with no equi...
How long of a break should I take before working the same muscle group?
How long of a break should I take before working the same muscle group? The amount of rest needed be...