question

Why should I do shoulder-strengthening exercises?

Dr. Mike Clark, DPT
Dr. Mike Clark, DPT
Fitness
answer
There is no denying that a pair of sculpted shoulders looks great on everyone. The definition around the shoulders helps enhance a man or female's frame and is the perfect accessory to a sleeveless shirt or dress.

Shoulder training has several benefits beyond the aesthetic; it enhances posture and strengthens the muscles surrounding the shoulder joint, creating more stability and an overall sturdier body structure. The shoulder joint is one of the most delicate joints. The shoulder joint allows a greater range of movement (think about doing arm circles). When the muscles surrounding the shoulder joint are weak, this movement can become altered, creating instability and often leading to injury. Keeping the shoulders free from injury means training the rotator cuff (muscles that stabilize the shoulder) as well as the deltoid muscle (the muscle you can see that surrounds the shoulder). The shoulder joint has several key stabilizers that act to keep the shoulder moving optimally, allowing enhanced definition around the shoulder. Training the muscles of the rotator cuff (subscapularis, supraspinatus, infraspinatus, and teres minor) will stabilize the shoulder joint, helping you avoid injuries.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

4 Reasons to Strength Train as You Age
4 Reasons to Strength Train as You Age
Regular exercise is vital to health at any age, but especially as we get older—and become more prone to joint and muscle stiffness, and orthopedic inj...
6 Reasons Why Women Should Weight Train
6 Reasons Why Women Should Weight Train
When we think of muscles, we think of Popeye, not twiggy Olive Oyl. But building and maintaining muscle mass is even more important for women. We all ...
Why does my neck hurt when I lift hand weights?
Why does my neck hurt when I lift hand weights? When lifting even light hand weights in a standing o...
What is strength endurance training?
What is strength endurance training? Strength endurance training improves stabilization endurance. L...