How do past positive experiences impact my sports performance?

Positive experiences impact lives. The ironic thing about positive experiences is that they don't stick with people in the same way as negative experiences. Negative experiences seem to be fairly easy to recall. People seem to remember them quickly and easily. When someone has been wronged it is one of the first things that people want to share. Positive experiences on the other hand are almost unconscious and relatively unrecognized. People may talk about positive experiences but that generally doesn't last long. Positive experiences are sometimes a product of repetition and positive feedback, which leads people to continue to produce the same behavior. Continued positive experiences is what leads people to higher self-esteem, increased self-confidence, competitiveness, and to be an improved athlete. Sometimes however, people struggle to remember and draw from those positive experiences if they've been distant from the experiences for a while. For example, if you've not played sports in a long time, it's hard sometimes to recall how great you were at sports when you were a few years younger, or the past positive experiences and feelings associated with playing those sports.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

How often should I train for a vertical jump or standing broad jump event?
Specifically practice each type of jump at least once a week to be comfortable with the testing proc...
What are the rules about wearing jewelry in college sports?
What are the rules about wearing jewelry in college sports? All jewelry must be removed for games. L...
How does anger affect my athletic performance?
How does anger affect my athletic performance? The biggest impact of anger on performance is that it...
How often should I train for my sport?
Typically, six days per week with time split between conditioning and skill practice.