Are humans inherently spiritual beings?

Arianna Huffington
Health Education

The instinct for spirituality is hardwired in us. This is our fourth instinct, the one beyond the instincts for survival, power, and sex. It is a genetically-based, physical instinct that has a metaphysical purpose. It is a natural hunger for supernatural sustenance. It propels us to find meaning and transcend our mundane selves.

Many now believe that spirituality has an evolutionary purpose. This is the thesis of The God Gene: How Faith Is Hardwired into Our Genes, by molecular biologist Dean Hamer. “Human spirituality,” Hamer says, “has an innate genetic component to it. It doesn’t mean that there’s one gene that makes people believe in God, but it refers to the fact that humans inherit a predisposition to be spiritual -- to reach out and look for a higher being.” 

On Becoming Fearless...in Love, Work, and Life

Observing that her own teenage daughters were beginning to experience some of the same fears that had once burdened her--how attractive am I? do people like me? do I dare speak up?--Arianna...

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

How do we relate with the universe?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
What are you and I, really? We are an expression of the entire universe. The universe gave birth to ...
How do I get in touch with my true nature?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
The irony is that if you live long enough, everything that you think makes you special, from your lo...
Why is charity important to spiritual growth?
Arianna HuffingtonArianna Huffington
Transcending ourselves -- our problems, cares and fears, but also our pleasures, hopes and joys -- i...
How is fasting related to spirituality?
In some religions and spiritualities, fasting is a way to cleanse and purify the body, and is consid...