How does spiritual well-being affect overall quality of life?

Spiritual well-being affects overall quality of life, which includes the following areas:
  • physical well-being: functional ability, strength/fatigue, sleep/rest, overall physical health, nausea, appetite, constipation, and aches and pains
  • social well-being: family distress, roles/relationships, affection/sexual function, appearance, employment, isolation and finances
  • psychological well-being: control, anxiety, enjoyment/leisure, pain distress, happiness, fear, and cognition/attention
  • spiritual well-being: meaning of illness, uncertainty, hope, religiosity, transcendence, and positive change

Spirituality is that part of yourself that helps you find meaning, connectedness and purpose in your life. It can include the practice of a philosophy, religion, or way of living. During difficult times, people often look for meaning and connectedness in the greater scheme of things to help them understand and cope with their experience. Serious illness can be one of those times.

Research shows that spirituality is related to better health outcomes. Spirituality seems to help people cope with illness, suffering and death. Spirituality also influences end-of-life decisions. All people, with or without a connection to organized religion or any spiritual practices, seem to benefit from finding their own sense of meaning, purpose and connectedness.

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

Are humans inherently spiritual beings?
Arianna HuffingtonArianna Huffington
The instinct for spirituality is hardwired in us. This is our fourth instinct, the one beyond the in...
What does God want us to believe in?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
I realize that my beliefs and truths will change over time and that I will make mistakes - and this ...
What is the beginning of suffering?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
The beginning of suffering is often a refusal to look at how the situation really is. Several years ...
Is the universe a friendly place?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
This is the first and most basic question all people must answer for themselves. As we look around t...