What is the greatest spiritual challenge?

Arianna Huffington
Health Education

The greatest spiritual challenge is to keep our hearts open while deflecting darkness and negativity. Until we can achieve this state of being, we must at least not allow painful experiences to close down our hearts permanently. Ultimately, the way we respond to the nameless, the homeless -- the “strangers” -- is the true test of our spiritual mettle, the true test of relationships as a thread through the labyrinth of our own lives.

“Don't talk to strangers!” we are taught from the moment we are able to talk. But if we do not talk to strangers, if we do not expand the circle of our affections and our caring, then we simply are not choosing to evolve. I, of course, did not send my young daughters to Central Park alone to talk to strangers. But while I taught them about caution and judgment, I also encouraged them to trust, to learn to share with strangers, as they learned to share with each other (eventually!). I preferred that they would be duped a few times than go through life mistrustful and barricaded, never taken in because they were never vulnerable.

So long as we are on a search for pain-free human relationships, or shifting responsibility for all our hurt and all our fears of abandonment, or seeking ourselves in others, we have not yet found the thread that will lead us toward our true selves. When we learn to accept ourselves -- not just our public achievements and private successes but also our failures, inadequacies, cowardice and fears -- then we will be able to embrace the strangers among us, because we will, finally, have embraced the stranger inside ourselves.

William Stillman
Health Education
The greatest spiritual challenge is for each human being to recognize and appreciate the extraordinary potential we hold for manifesting good works. Don't we all ask ourselves, at one time or another, "Why am I here?" The secret meaning of life isn't so secret; it lies in understanding that we should each aspire to take the sum total of who we are--good, bad, and indifferent---in order to discern how best to employ it to render good and great service to others.

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it. Some experts describe it as a belief in something bigger tha...
What is living from the inside out?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
I have come to see that the path to one's true Self comes from living from the inside out. It is...
What is the deeper reality of life?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
The deeper reality lies beneath the thin layer of events that you know as life. In the deeper realit...
What Does Spirituality Have to Do with Physical Health?