Where is my soul?

William Stillman
Health Education Specialist

Your soul is an ethereal counterpart to your human form that is infused throughout every cell of your body. Think of it as the invisible equivalent of musical DNA. As an energy separate from your human form, your soul is distinguishable from other souls by its unique vibration, just like our fingerprints.

It is said that the soul begins the process of conjoining with the physical while you—as a fetus—are in utero. The soul is your higher self and mirrors much of your personality; in other words, even after your soul leaves your human form after death, you are still you!

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine Specialist

The soul, or true self, is not inside you, nor is it outside. Like gravity or truth or time, your soul is everywhere. Therefore at the moment of death it has nowhere to go—it has already arrived.

Imagine a series of concentric circles, one within the other. Then imagine yourself living in each of these circles, beginning with the smallest.

• The first circle is your body and the physical world of the five senses. Here you live in time as it passes.
  • The second circle is the pattern of brain waves that create your thoughts, feelings, and desires. Here you live in the mind.
  • The third circle is the invisible pattern of energy from which the brain was created. Here you live in the play of natural forces.
  • The fourth circle is the field that extends infinitely through the cosmos, from which all energy is born. Here you live in the fluctuating waves of the cosmic ocean.
  • The fifth circle is the silent, unmoving field that unites all force fields, from which space and time arose. Here you live within the ocean itself.
  • The sixth circle is the womb of the universe—infinite dimensions wrapped within each other. Here you live in the cradle of creation before creation occurs.
  • The seventh circle is the uncreated—God, Brahman, the One and All. Here you live eternally.

What I realized with a wave of relief was that no one has to go anywhere. All these realms exist at the same time. The only thing that changes is perception. You and I choose the circle we belong in, and once we identify it, we call that reality.

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it—spirituality means different things to different people and e...
How do I fight evil?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
It is important to remember that anything you can do to expand your awareness will automatically cou...
How can animals promote spiritual development?
William StillmanWilliam Stillman
There are many types and degrees of intelligence, and animals are no exception. Where spirituality i...
How Do Rituals Like Chanting Contribute to Healing?