How do I protect myself from evil?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Total compassion leads to total forgiveness. You can't force yourself to forgive anyone. Forgiveness doesn't belong to the mind. It is a feeling of the heart.

So once again we face a paradox, for it appears that softening your heart and gently tending its wounds will protect you from evil. Building a fortress and defending yourself behind it will only make you more vulnerable. Healing your own heart is the single most powerful thing you can do to change the world. Your own transformation will enable you to withdraw so completely from evil that you contribute to it by not one word, one thought, or one breath. This healing process is like recovering your soul.
William Stillman
Health Education

Evil gains momentum—but not truly authentic power—from negative deeds, thoughts, and emotions generated by others or generated by one’s self. Such collective conduct has, at the root of its motivation, low-level, fear-based energy, be it rage, jealousy, revenge, and so on. The illusion of evil is fulfilled through chaos and destruction. Evil thrives upon perpetuating a vicious cycle of self-harm and harm against others. Evil can be duplicitous and deceptive, masquerading as a harmless temptation or the lure of inauthentic promise.

To protect yourself against evil, total transparency is required in all that you are. You must be completely authentic in projecting the antidote to all that is evil through your actions, interactions, and way of being in the world. This means no hidden agendas or ulterior motives; the truth must always be illuminated. If you embrace the light, positive energy of love, compassion, sensitivity, respect, and reverence for all things, you will offer evil little-to-no opportunity to attach, for the absence of any negativity.

If you are religious or spiritual, there are certainly rituals to enact that may aid you in feeling well-protected from evil. The rituals may provide some with a moment of clarity, contemplation and meditation to set altruistic intentions.

Resisting evil requires an absence of feeding it fear, even when confronted by that which we perceive to be evil. There is always the potential for us to transform and rehabilitate evil.

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it—spirituality means different things to different people and e...
Why do I fear death?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
A person fears death not for itself but for a deeper reason, which is the need to defend an imaginar...
Can I understand anyone as myself?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Human nature is handed out one person at a time, yet we all share it. Ego tries to ignore the second...
How Do Rituals Like Chanting Contribute to Healing?