How do I protect myself from evil?

William Stillman
Health Education

Evil gains momentum—but not truly authentic power—from negative deeds, thoughts, and emotions generated by others or generated by one’s self. Such collective conduct has, at the root of its motivation, low-level, fear-based energy, be it rage, jealousy, revenge, and so on. The illusion of evil is fulfilled through chaos and destruction. Evil thrives upon perpetuating a vicious cycle of self-harm and harm against others. Evil can be duplicitous and deceptive, masquerading as a harmless temptation or the lure of inauthentic promise.

To protect yourself against evil, total transparency is required in all that you are. You must be completely authentic in projecting the antidote to all that is evil through your actions, interactions, and way of being in the world. This means no hidden agendas or ulterior motives; the truth must always be illuminated. If you embrace the light, positive energy of love, compassion, sensitivity, respect, and reverence for all things, you will offer evil little-to-no opportunity to attach, for the absence of any negativity.

If you are religious or spiritual, there are certainly rituals to enact that may aid you in feeling well-protected from evil. The rituals may provide some with a moment of clarity, contemplation and meditation to set altruistic intentions.

Resisting evil requires an absence of feeding it fear, even when confronted by that which we perceive to be evil. There is always the potential for us to transform and rehabilitate evil.

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Total compassion leads to total forgiveness. You can't force yourself to forgive anyone. Forgiveness doesn't belong to the mind. It is a feeling of the heart.

So once again we face a paradox, for it appears that softening your heart and gently tending its wounds will protect you from evil. Building a fortress and defending yourself behind it will only make you more vulnerable. Healing your own heart is the single most powerful thing you can do to change the world. Your own transformation will enable you to withdraw so completely from evil that you contribute to it by not one word, one thought, or one breath. This healing process is like recovering your soul.

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it—spirituality means different things to different people and e...
How can life's challenges help define our purpose?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
The "weather" of our lives (suffering, loss, disappointment, and disease) helps to define our me...
What happens when we outgrow our belief system?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
In my experience, my belief systems have been, and are, like the shell of an egg.  Without its shell...
How Do Rituals Like Chanting Contribute to Healing?