What foods should I avoid if I'm on a low sodium diet?

Toby Smithson

Sodium is in most foods including fresh vegetables grown in your garden. The best strategy to reduce sodium in your diet is to first look at the higher sodium foods. You can then make adjustments to a lower sodium alternative. Canned foods, cured or smoked meats, foods soaked in brine like pickles, broth or bouillon, frozen dinners, snack foods that you can see salt on them, and fast food are some of the higher sodium foods. Suggestions to lower the sodium include: purchase no added salt canned foods as well as bouillon and broths, choose fresh meats instead of cured or smoked meats, purchase no added salt snack foods, and cook at home more often than eating out. 

Continue Learning about Sodium

How can I help my family eat less salt?
Mary MullenMary Mullen
Here are a few ways you can help your family shake the salt habit: Prepare foods with less, and ev...
What are some hidden sources of sodium?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
With all the talk about reducing sodium in your diet, it’s important to be able to recognize sodium ...
What is sodium?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
Sodium is a mineral that is essential to the body for helping to maintain proper fluid balance, regu...
Is salt really bad for me?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have significant heart failure, excessive salt intake can be dangerous. If you also have chro...