Are salt and sodium the same thing?

Marisa Moore

No.  Salt and sodium are not the same thing.

"Salt" is the term commonly used for sodium chloride (NaCl) which is table salt. Sodium chloride is just 40% sodium and 60% chloride. One teaspoon of table salt contains 2,325 mg of sodium.

It's important to note that in addition to sodium chloride, sodium shows up in food in other forms including monosodium glutamate (MSG), sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and sodium nitrate (a preservative) among many others.

While the words “salt” and “sodium” are often used interchangeably, they are not the same. Sodium is a substance that affects blood pressure and is the main ingredient in salt. Ordinary table salt is only 40 percent sodium. The other 60 percent is another mineral, chloride. It is the sodium part of salt that is necessary to maintain water balance in body tissues. However, too much sodium can increase fluid retention and elevate blood pressure in people who are sodium sensitive.
While the average American consumers about 2 to 4 teaspoons of salt per day (4400 to 8800 milligrams of sodium), the body only needs about ½ to 1 ½ teaspoons of salt per day (1100 to 3300 milligrams of sodium). By reducing the amount of salt in your diet, you may lower your blood pressure, too.

Continue Learning about Sodium

How can I reduce my salt or sodium intake?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Most Americans have too much sodium in their diet. A healthy diet should include no more than 1,500 ...
What foods can I eat if I'm on a low sodium diet?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Here is a list of foods that you can eat if you are on a low sodium diet: Bread, cereals, and gra...
Is It OK to Stop Worrying About Salt and High Blood Pressure?
4 Ways to Cut Back on Sodium
4 Ways to Cut Back on Sodium