How does my body keep me upright?

Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
In order to stay upright, your body is sensing the direction of the sway and activating the muscles on the opposite side of the body to contract and correct your upright position. Your muscles and joints "know" where they are in space. This process, which is called proprioception, happens at lightening speed without your consciously thinking about it. Proprioception is the ability of our bodies to detect where we are in space (i.e., whether we are leaning to the right or left) and to contract muscles appropriately for us to stay upright.
There are actually many systems working together to keep us standing upright. Balancing effectively takes our eyes, ears (vestibular system), and peripheral sensory system (skin receptors of pressure and touch) as well as our neuromuscular connections (the nerve pathways between our brains and muscles, tendons, ligaments, and joints). Our brains are able to coordinate these signals to determine where our limbs are in space and the speed and direction of their movement.

Fitness After 40: How to Stay Strong at Any Age

Continue Learning about Joint Health

What You Need to Know About Bone Density Testing
Every year an estimated 2 million people break a bone due to osteoporosis. In fact, roughly 50 percent of women over the age of 50 will likely fractur...
What increases my risk for juvenile idiopathic arthritis?
Because juvenile idiopathic arthritis is an autoimmune disease, it is more prevalent in females. It ...
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
Improve your range of motion and ease aches with these hand exercises.
Signs of Osteoarthritis: Stiffness, Pain, Swelling in Joints