question

Are prescription medications available for degenerative disc disease?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Donna Hill Howes, RN
answer

Prescription medications for degenerative disc disease include steroids, analgesics, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and muscle relaxers. Steroids treat the pain of degenerative disc disease by reducing inflammation. Your doctor may also prescribe non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, which reduce inflammation and relieve pain. Prescription-strength analgesics provide pain relief only, and muscle relaxers work to stop spasms.

Continue Learning about Joint Health

5 Bone-Strengthening Exercises and Activities
Exercise is good for more than just your heart, lungs and muscles. Physical activity is one of the best ways to keep your bones healthy, whether you’r...
The Mysterious Condition That Limits Your Mobility
Frozen shoulder, also known as adhesive capsulitis, can make even everyday chores seem almost impossible. “It’s the most painful [condition] that walk...
4 Simple Hand Exercises for Better Grip Strength
What can I do to decrease the amount that my feet turn out?
The probable reasons that your feet are turning out is due to both tight and weak muscles so stretch...