When would asthma be considered a chronic condition?

Asthma is a chronic condition in itself. Unfortunately, there is no cure for asthma, so the goals of care are to control it with medications and reduce exposure to environmental triggers.
Asthma is an airway disease, sometimes reversible, where there is a narrowing of the airways and increased sensitivity of the lining of the airways to certain substances.  When the airways lose the ability to return to the person’s normal condition, the condition is considered chronic or non-reversible.  That is why it is so important to continue treatment for asthma even if you are not having outward symptoms.  Your airways may be changing (called re-modeling) even without obvious symptoms. 

Continue Learning about Asthma

How to Prepare for Kids’ Allergy and Asthma Attacks at School
About 6.2 million U.S. children under the age of 18 have asthma, and around 5.6 million have food allergies. But not every school—or student—has a pla...
What is the economic impact of asthma?
Asthma is a serious economic concern in the United States. It’s expensive: Asthma costs the Unite...
What is occupational asthma?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Occupational asthma is the term used to describe asthmatic symptoms-itchy eyes and coughing-while yo...
How Do I Know My Asthma Is Under Control?