Does the salt in food affect the total number of calories?

Salt does not affect the total number of calories. In fact, salt has no calories at all. Consuming high amounts of salt can result in temporary weight gain because it causes your body to retain water.

No, salt does not add calories to foods. Salt does however cause the body to retain water; water retention will negatively affect your weight loss efforts.

Aside from temporary weight gain from water retention, high sodium consumption is associated with many health problems. Doctors advise keeping salt (sodium) consumption under 2400 mgs per day, a recent study shows that sodium should be lower still at about 1600 mgs.

Continue Learning about Sodium

Are salt substitutes safe?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Salt substitutes aren't appropriate -- and may not be healthful -- for everyone. Many salt subs...
How can lowering my salt intake benefit my heart health?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Reducing salt intake should lower cardiovascular disease. Certainly, our contemporary diet rich ...
How to Eat Less Salt and Lower Your Stroke Risk
Is It OK to Stop Worrying About Salt and High Blood Pressure?