Does the salt in food affect the total number of calories?

Salt does not affect the total number of calories. In fact, salt has no calories at all. Consuming high amounts of salt can result in temporary weight gain because it causes your body to retain water.

Continue Learning about Sodium

How can I cut down my consumption of salt?
Minimizing diet foods that are packaged, frozen, and processed will cut that sodium to acceptable am...
What are some hidden sources of sodium?
It’s important to be able to recognize sodium ingredients in foods. Learn more from our experts abou...
Is sea salt better for me than regular salt?
Salt is salt, whether it is sea salt or table salt. Learn more from our experts about sea salt and r...
How to Eat Less Salt and Lower Your Stroke Risk