How do I increase sodium levels without affecting my blood pressure?

Neal Spruce
Neal Spruce on behalf of dotFIT
Fitness

Sodium is found outside the cells of the body and is important for maintaining blood pressure. It is also needed for your muscles and nerve cells to work properly. Hyponatremia is the term used to describe low sodium in the blood. It is common in runners who, during long training or marathon events, do not replace the electrolytes lost from sweating. Other common causes of hyponatremia are:

• Burns
  • Congestive heart failure
  • Diarrhea
  • Diuretic medications, which increase urine output
  • Kidney diseases
  • Liver cirrhosis
  • Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH)
  • Sweating
  • Vomiting

If a blood or urine test administered by your physician has confirmed that you have low levels of sodium you have options. Depending on the severity they may recommend salting your food more, water restriction, medication or in severe cases, an IV drip.

Continue Learning about Sodium

How does eating too much salt affect health?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
High sodium intake is predictive of increased death from heart attacks. A study of adults with p...
Why is too much salt a health risk?
Mary MullenMary Mullen
People who eat a diet high in sodium (salt) are at increased risk for high blood pressure, heart...
How to Eat Less Salt and Lower Your Stroke Risk
Is It OK to Stop Worrying About Salt and High Blood Pressure?