How do I increase sodium levels without affecting my blood pressure?

Neal Spruce
Neal Spruce on behalf of dotFIT
Fitness

Sodium is found outside the cells of the body and is important for maintaining blood pressure. It is also needed for your muscles and nerve cells to work properly. Hyponatremia is the term used to describe low sodium in the blood. It is common in runners who, during long training or marathon events, do not replace the electrolytes lost from sweating. Other common causes of hyponatremia are:

• Burns
  • Congestive heart failure
  • Diarrhea
  • Diuretic medications, which increase urine output
  • Kidney diseases
  • Liver cirrhosis
  • Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH)
  • Sweating
  • Vomiting

If a blood or urine test administered by your physician has confirmed that you have low levels of sodium you have options. Depending on the severity they may recommend salting your food more, water restriction, medication or in severe cases, an IV drip.

Continue Learning about Sodium

Where does the salt in my diet come from?
Most of the sodium, or salt, we eat comes from processed foods and foods prepared in restaurants. So...
What are the dietary guidelines for daily sodium consumption in the U.S.?
Marisa MooreMarisa Moore
For the general population, the 2010 Dietary Guidelines recommend you limit sodium intake to no more...
What could cause a low sodium level?
Howard E. Lewine, MDHoward E. Lewine, MD
The normal level of sodium in the blood is between 135 mEq/L (milliequivalents per liter) and 145 mE...
How can lowering my salt intake benefit my heart health?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Reducing salt intake should lower cardiovascular disease. Certainly, our contemporary diet rich ...