What should I do if nicotine gum doesn't work to help me quit smoking?

When the gum is not as effective as it can be, it is usually for one of two reasons. First, if you are using it like chewing gum, it will not work. It has to be placed between the cheek and gum for the nicotine to be absorbed. Second, don't be afraid to use enough. In the first few weeks of quitting, you can use 1 piece every hour.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

Should I let others know that I am quitting smoking?
Absolutely.  If you commit to it by telling others, they will help you and not sabotage you.  That i...
Is it dangerous to smoke while using nicotine replacement therapy?
Don't mix smoking with NRT. If you have a relapse, don't stop using NRT. Make sure you use the full ...
What are smoking cessation aids?
There are many smoking cessation aids available. Here are the two most popular smoking cessation...
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
Don't let these misconceptions keep you from quitting. We all know smoking has countless negative effects on our health—from discolored teeth to heart...