What should I do while driving when I'm trying to quit smoking?

Here are a few things to keep in mind for driving while you are trying to quit smoking:

Remove the ashtray, lighter, and cigarettes from your car. Turn your radio on or put on your favorite tape or CD and sing along. Clean your car and make sure to use deodorizers to reduce the tobacco smell. Ask friends and passengers not to smoke in your car. If you're not driving, find something to do with your hands. Take an alternate route to work. Try carpooling. For a little while, avoid taking long car trips. If you do, take plenty of rest stops. Keep non-fattening snacks in your car (sunflower seeds, licorice, sugarless gum and hard candy). Take fresh fruit with you on long trips. Plan stops for water or fruit juice.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

Do I have to throw away all my cigarettes if I'm going to quit smoking?
Find out if you need to throw away all your cigarettes if you are going to quit smoking.
What are the withdrawal symptoms when quitting smoking?
Common withdrawal symptoms after you quit smoking include headache, sweating, and intestinal pain. L...
A Guide to Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT)
A Guide to Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT)A Guide to Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT)A Guide to Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT)A Guide to Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT)
Learn about patches, gums, lozenges, nasal sprays and inhalers that may help smokers wean themselves off nicotine. Nearly 70 percent of smokers say t...
Do I need to quit smoking before heart surgery?