What should I do while driving when I'm trying to quit smoking?

Here are a few things to keep in mind for driving while you are trying to quit smoking:

Remove the ashtray, lighter, and cigarettes from your car. Turn your radio on or put on your favorite tape or CD and sing along. Clean your car and make sure to use deodorizers to reduce the tobacco smell. Ask friends and passengers not to smoke in your car. If you're not driving, find something to do with your hands. Take an alternate route to work. Try carpooling. For a little while, avoid taking long car trips. If you do, take plenty of rest stops. Keep non-fattening snacks in your car (sunflower seeds, licorice, sugarless gum and hard candy). Take fresh fruit with you on long trips. Plan stops for water or fruit juice.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
What is the cheapest option to manage my nicotine addiction?
The least expensive option for smoking cessation is obviously to quit “cold turkey," but unfortu...
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
Don't let these misconceptions keep you from quitting.
The Best Time to Quit Smoking
The Best Time to Quit Smoking