Why is sleep deprivation so common?

Modern society has contributed to the problem of sleeplessness, says pulmonologist and sleep specialist Michelle Zeidler, M.D. “The increase in work hours, commute time and time spent on various technologies after hours has curtailed the amount of time we spend sleeping,” she notes. While many people feel they can get away with less than the recommended seven to eight hours of sleep each night, “a good night’s sleep needs to be considered preventive medicine, just like a healthy diet and exercise,” Dr. Zeidler says.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
Can my diet affect my sleep?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Your diet can indeed affect your sleep; what you eat at night can help you fall asleep by increasing...
How can I set a good sleep routine for my child?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
To set up a strict sleep program for your child: Establish regular times for going to bed with lig...
What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?