Why do our bodies need sleep?

Sleep provides several benefits. During sleep, the body releases growth hormones, which fix damaged tissues, including the skin. Sleep also reduces the body's amount of stress hormones, adjusts the hormones that control appetite and boosts the immune system.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
In Bedtime for Bonzo, when college professor Peter Boyd (Ronald Regan) attempts to demonstrate that he can teach a chimpanzee (Bonzo) right from wrong...
What can I do if my bed partner is a night owl, but I am an early bird?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
If you and your bed partner have different sleep schedules, the early bird can wear eyeshades and ea...
What is wake propensity?
Alon Avidan, MDAlon Avidan, MD
Wake propensity explains how sleepy or awake you may feel during the day and at night. When you w...
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?