Why do our bodies need sleep?

Sleep provides several benefits. During sleep, the body releases growth hormones, which fix damaged tissues, including the skin. Sleep also reduces the body's amount of stress hormones, adjusts the hormones that control appetite and boosts the immune system.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
In Bedtime for Bonzo, when college professor Peter Boyd (Ronald Regan) attempts to demonstrate that he can teach a chimpanzee (Bonzo) right from wrong...
Can I make up for lost sleep on the weekend?
Carol Ash, DOCarol Ash, DO
We create "sleep debt" during the week, which many of us try to make up for by sleeping in on the we...
How does my dinner affect my sleep?
You may not think what happens at your dinner table has much to do with your nights of tossing and t...
What's a Good Breathing Exercise to Help Me Sleep?