How can lack of sleep increase pain?

The relationship between sleep and pain is one we don't yet fully understand. What we do know -- and what anyone who suffers from chronic pain can attest to -- is that each can have a significant effect on the other. The presence of pain can make it hard to fall asleep and stay asleep, and being sleep deprived can make a person feel more sensitive to aches and pains. Studies that have examined the relationship between sleep and pain found these links to be true -- and also found that it doesn't take a lot of lost or disrupted sleep to have an effect on how we experience pain:
  • One study showed 12 women who were deprived of sleep for only 3 consecutive nights experienced increased sensitivity to pain. Pain sensitivity began to increase after a single night of disrupted sleep and grew worse each night.
  • Another study tested healthy men for pain sensitivity after a short period of total sleep deprivation. Researchers found that total sleep deprivation dramatically decreased the men's threshold for pain. A recovery sleep period after sleep deprivation restored the men's pain threshold.
  • Recent research into fibromyalgia showed that women who were sleep deprived had as much as 5 times higher a risk of developing the chronic pain syndrome, over a 10-year period, as women who were not sleep deprived.
  • A sleep-pain study performed on rats showed that when deprived of REM sleep, the rats experienced a significant increase in sensitivity to several types of pain stimuli.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

how can i fit a nap into my day ?
Ann Scritsmier , NASM Elite TrainerAnn Scritsmier , NASM Elite Trainer
That's a tough question to answer without more information - such as what you do for a living, etc.....
when are people naturally most sleepy ?
Our bodies are programmed by our biological clocks to experience two natural periods of sleepiness d...
how can i improve the quality of my sleep ?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
A new study suggests that using an electronic device like a smartphone, ipad or laptop for a signifi...
what can i do if my bed partner is a night owl , but i am an early bird ?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
If you and your bed partner have different sleep schedules, the early bird can wear eyeshades and ea...