Can my diet affect my sleep?

You may not think what happens at your dinner table has much to do with your nights of tossing and turning, but there is a connection. Diets high in refined sugar can cause indigestion and trigger insulin surges that interfere with the hormones that affect sleep. The solution: low-fat and high-fiber foods.
Your diet can indeed affect your sleep; what you eat at night can help you fall asleep by increasing the levels of serotonin in your brain. Watch me explain the foods to embrace and those to avoid for healthy sleep.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
In Bedtime for Bonzo, when college professor Peter Boyd (Ronald Regan) attempts to demonstrate that he can teach a chimpanzee (Bonzo) right from wrong...
What is wake propensity?
Alon Avidan, MDAlon Avidan, MD
Wake propensity explains how sleepy or awake you may feel during the day and at night. When you w...
What should I do if I wake up at night and can't fall back asleep?
Thomas Freedom, MDThomas Freedom, MD
If you are not able to fall back asleep within a short period of time (longer than 20 minutes), ...
What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?