Why shouldn't I treat a burn with ice?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

There are two major reasons for NOT treating a burn with ice. First the ice can cause further damage to the tissue and even result in frost-bite, if left in contact with the tissue too long. The burn may expose underlying tissue which is fragile and more likely to be damaged by exposure to ice. Also if the skin surrounding the burn is damaged by the ice it may impede the healing process. The other reason is specific to second and third degree burns in which the epidermal surface of the skin is damaged. Putting ice directly on these burns can cause a burn victims body temperature to become to cold which places them at risk for additional complications.

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Burns shouldn't be treated with ice because it can make the body too cold. The affected area that comes in direct contact with the ice can become so cold that additional damage is done. Room-temperature or cool water is best as ice water can pose the same potential problems as ice.

You shouldn't treat a burn with ice because it can injure the skin and trigger frostbite. Running cool water is recommended for a burn.

Continue Learning about Burn Treatment

Why do I need a feeding tube while in hospital with a burn injury?
Medical City PlanoMedical City Plano
The extent of the burn may be too large to heal from eating regular diet. You will likely need addit...
What should I do with a blister from a burn?
Eastside Medical CenterEastside Medical Center
Don't open those blisters. Though they might be unsightly and bothersome, blisters provide a natural...
How should a child be treated for pain from all types of burns?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Even small burns can be painful. Your child may be irritable (grouchy) and even vomit once or twice....
How do medications treat burns?
Antibiotic ointments can help treat burns by preventing infections from developing. Pain medications...