Why shouldn't I treat a burn with ice?

You shouldn't treat a burn with ice because it can injure the skin and trigger frostbite. Running cool water is recommended for a burn.

Burns shouldn't be treated with ice because it can make the body too cold. The affected area that comes in direct contact with the ice can become so cold that additional damage is done. Room-temperature or cool water is best as ice water can pose the same potential problems as ice.

Dr. Deborah Raines, MSN
Nursing Specialist

There are two major reasons for NOT treating a burn with ice. First the ice can cause further damage to the tissue and even result in frost-bite, if left in contact with the tissue too long. The burn may expose underlying tissue which is fragile and more likely to be damaged by exposure to ice. Also if the skin surrounding the burn is damaged by the ice it may impede the healing process. The other reason is specific to second and third degree burns in which the epidermal surface of the skin is damaged. Putting ice directly on these burns can cause a burn victims body temperature to become to cold which places them at risk for additional complications.

Continue Learning about Burn Treatment

What is a burn center?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
A burn center is specialized hospital or unit in a hospital to treat seriously burned patients. Burn...
How do I manage my burn on a daily basis?
Medical City PlanoMedical City Plano
Keep the burn clean and cover it with the dressing as instructed by your physician. You should get d...
What are the treatment options for burns?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Treatment options for burns depend on the type of burn. Most burns can be treated at home. People mi...
Should I use butter to treat my burn?
Although commonly used in the past, butter should not be used to treat burns. Similar to other oily ...