How is the neurotransmitter serotonin linked to premature ejaculation?

Ian Kerner, PhD
Sexual Health
Serotonin, a neurotransmitter (the chemical messengers your nervous system relies on to regulate various bodily functions), may be at least partly responsible for premature ejaculation (PE). Serotonin influences brain cells involved with mood, sleep, memory, appetite, and sexual desire. As you may know, serotonin tends to be lower in people with depression and other mood disorders. Studies also show low serotonin levels in men with PE.

Antidepressant medications called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), like Prozac, Zoloft, and Celexa, work by boosting levels of serotonin. Simply put, more serotonin means you feel happier -- and more turned on. But as users of SSRIs know all too well, higher serotonin levels can also increase ejaculatory threshold and delay your orgasm. While that’s a definite downside for some men, it could be a boon for guys with PE. You can also try to raise your serotonin levels without drugs by exercising regularly, for example, but natural ways of raising serotonin may not provide the necessary boost that men with PE require.
The Good in Bed Guide to Overcoming Premature Ejaculation

From the New York Times best-selling author of She Comes First arrives the definitive guide to managing premature ejaculation – a book that could save your sex life!Do you suffer from PE? Are you...

Continue Learning about Premature Ejaculation

With premature ejaculation, how long can I go before ejaculating?
With premature ejaculation, how long can I go before ejaculating? Men with premature ejaculation can...
How important is mastering oral sex if I have premature ejaculation?
Oral sex is the most reliable way to make a woman orgasm. It takes pressure off your penis allowing ...
Why was premature ejaculation beneficial in our evolution?
Many years ago, the premature ejaculator was considered the superior male because he could fertilize...
Does Premature Ejaculation Get Better Over Time?