What are the disadvantages of running?

Running has advantages and disadvantages. If your body can endure the impact then go for it. However, be sure to practice active flexibility. Part of the reason running is so tough is people do not stretch enough. They believe that they will be able to warm up in the first few minutes. This at times holds to be true but your body needs more of a dynamic warm-up prior to exercise of such high impact. Also, be sure to cool down, walking is not enough. Stretch, stretch, stretch! Your calves have just taken a beating so stretch. Your quadriceps and hip flexors also need to be put back into place!

Disadvantages:

• Impact on ankles, knees, hips, and lower back
  • More prone to injury without proper form and stretching

These are your main disadvantages. Again, with supportive shoes and proper flexibility before and after, you should be able to be successful.

Continue Learning about Running

Why do my legs hurt after I run but not after I walk?
Ozgen DoganOzgen Dogan
Running is a high-level exercise that causes lactic acid to collect in the muscles and feel pain...
What is the main goal of the recovery phase after running a race?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
The main goal of the recovery phase after running a race is to let your body recover. Allow your bod...
Why is it important to rest after running a race?
Running a race stresses your body. When you run, you use up metabolic fuel, enzymes and hormones. Ru...
Is running on a treadmill the same as running on the road?
Andrea Ingram , NASM Elite TrainerAndrea Ingram , NASM Elite Trainer
There is no substitute for time on the road, but running on the treadmill can be a good alternative ...