Why does rosacea dry out my skin?

People with rosacea may have a dysfunctional skin barrier, which is more prone to loss of its own natural moisture and leads to symptoms of dryness.

Patricia Farris, MD
Dermatology

Many patients with rosacea complain of dry, sensitive skin. Although we don't fully understand why patients with rosacea are more sensitive, stinging and burning is a common complaint. Rosacea patients need to be careful when choosing skin care products. I tell patients to avoid any products that contain alcohol and ingredients like alpha hydroxy acids that may be irritating. Patients with rosacea should use sunscreens with micronized titanium dioxide or zinc oxide as these chemical free sunscreens are easy to tolerate. In addition, some of the medications used to treat rosacea can exacerbate dryness and cause sensitivity. You should check with your dermatologist who can help you with product selection and give you specific treatment recommendations. 

Continue Learning about Rosacea

Can children develop rosacea?
Although it is rare, rosacea can develop in children. In fact, it often goes undiagnosed in children...
How can early diagnosis and treatment lessen the symptoms of rosacea?
The sooner rosacea is diagnosed, the sooner a person can start receiving medicine that will redu...
What Cosmetics Are Best for People with Rosacea?
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?