Why does rosacea dry out my skin?

Patricia Farris, MD
Dermatology

Many patients with rosacea complain of dry, sensitive skin. Although we don't fully understand why patients with rosacea are more sensitive, stinging and burning is a common complaint. Rosacea patients need to be careful when choosing skin care products. I tell patients to avoid any products that contain alcohol and ingredients like alpha hydroxy acids that may be irritating. Patients with rosacea should use sunscreens with micronized titanium dioxide or zinc oxide as these chemical free sunscreens are easy to tolerate. In addition, some of the medications used to treat rosacea can exacerbate dryness and cause sensitivity. You should check with your dermatologist who can help you with product selection and give you specific treatment recommendations. 

People with rosacea may have a dysfunctional skin barrier, which is more prone to loss of its own natural moisture and leads to symptoms of dryness.

Continue Learning about Rosacea

Are rosacea outbreaks always on the face?
The face is where rosacea outbreaks most commonly occur. But it's not the only part of the body ...
Is rosacea the same as acne?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Rosacea (ro-ZAY-she-ah) is a common skin problem often called "adult acne." Faired skinned and menop...
What Cosmetics Are Best for People with Rosacea?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?