How is rosacea treated?

Rosacea can be treated with lifestyle changes and prescription medicines. While the cause of rosacea is unknown, there are a number of lifestyle factors, triggers and habits that may contribute to flare-ups. Your healthcare professional, specifically a dermatologist, can help you determine your personal triggers and provide guidance on the right skin care routines for you.

Triggers may include stress, alcoholic beverages, spicy foods and intense weather conditions such as heat, humidity and wind. Practice "sun safety" whenever possible: use sunscreen, wear light-colored and tightly woven protective clothing, and avoid the sun. Using fragrance-free skin care and makeup products and avoiding deodorant soaps can help reduce skin irritation. Rosacea also may be aggravated by ingredients such as menthol, alcohol and peppermint.

Ask your dermatologist which products are best for your skin. Your dermatologist may also prescribe medication for your rosacea. 

Continue Learning about Rosacea

Which mascara is best for people with rosacea?
Black mascara is recommended for use by people with rosacea, because the risk of irritation from pot...
What should I know about erythematotelangiectatic rosacea?
The first thing to know about erythematotelangiectatic rosacea is that it is a very common condition...
What is progressive rosacea?
Progressive rosacea describes a form of this condition in which symptoms persist, worsen, and be...
Which cleansers are better for my skin if I have rosacea?
People with rosacea can have increased skin sensitivity or even allergic reactions to certain produc...