What other medical conditions are associated with obstructive sleep apnea?

Phil Westbrook
Sleep Medicine

Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is associated with a number of other medical disorders. Conditions which appear to predispose one to OSA include hypothyroidism (not enough thyroid hormone) and acromegaly (too much growth hormone). Nasal and facial conditions due to congenital or developmental abnormalities may cause OA in children and if uncorrected continue to do so as they become adults. Enlarged tonsils and adenoids are a major cause of OSA in children. In women polycystic ovarian disease has been associated with the development of OSA, and pregnancy, while not an abnormal medical condition, can be a reversible cause of OSA. Obesity is the most common medical condition that causes with OSA. Tumors in the upper airway must always be considered as a possible cause of OSA, but fortunately they are quite rare.

Sleep apnea causes frequent interruptions in sleep pattern. The person usually does not wake up completely, and so is often unaware of the severity of the sleep disturbance. These interruptions in restful sleep cause powerful and dangerous sleepiness during the day. In addition, sleep apnea is probably linked to heart and lung problems including high blood pressure. The death rate from all causes is also higher in patients with moderate to severe obstructive sleep apnea.

Continue Learning about Obstructive Sleep Apnea

How can I get a good sleep if I have obstructive sleep apnea?
Dr. John Van der Werff, DDSDr. John Van der Werff, DDS
It depends on the severity of the sleep apnea. With some people raising their head and staying off t...
How can losing weight help my obstructive sleep apnea symptoms?
Craig B. Primack, MDCraig B. Primack, MD
Sleep apnea usually occurs during stages of sleep where the tongue and throat muscle relax. During t...
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
What Are the Health Complications Associated with Obstructive Sleep Apnea?