What other medical conditions are associated with obstructive sleep apnea?

Sleep apnea causes frequent interruptions in sleep pattern. The person usually does not wake up completely, and so is often unaware of the severity of the sleep disturbance. These interruptions in restful sleep cause powerful and dangerous sleepiness during the day. In addition, sleep apnea is probably linked to heart and lung problems including high blood pressure. The death rate from all causes is also higher in patients with moderate to severe obstructive sleep apnea.
Phil Westbrook
Sleep Medicine

Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is associated with a number of other medical disorders. Conditions which appear to predispose one to OSA include hypothyroidism (not enough thyroid hormone) and acromegaly (too much growth hormone). Nasal and facial conditions due to congenital or developmental abnormalities may cause OA in children and if uncorrected continue to do so as they become adults. Enlarged tonsils and adenoids are a major cause of OSA in children. In women polycystic ovarian disease has been associated with the development of OSA, and pregnancy, while not an abnormal medical condition, can be a reversible cause of OSA. Obesity is the most common medical condition that causes with OSA. Tumors in the upper airway must always be considered as a possible cause of OSA, but fortunately they are quite rare.

Continue Learning about Obstructive Sleep Apnea

How can losing weight help my obstructive sleep apnea symptoms?
A major cause of obstructive sleep apnea is obesity. When you are obese, extra fat can narrow your a...
Can I take a sleep aid or sleeping pills if I have obstructive sleep apnea?
Dr. Phil WestbrookDr. Phil Westbrook
Most physicians recommend that you do not take sleeping pills if you have obstructive sleep apnea (O...
What Are the Health Complications Associated with Obstructive Sleep Apnea?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?