What can cause growths in the nose that occasionally bleed?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
There are many things that grow in noses that can occasionally bleed. Without seeing what is growing, it is not possible to diagnose the lesion. Please see your doctor to get an accurate diagnosis.

Here are some common growths in the nose:
  • Verrucous lesions (warts). These irregular lesions usually appear near the opening to the nose. They are not painful. They can stay the same size or grow larger over time. They tend to recur if only the top is removed.
  • Nasal polyps. These watery, soft, pale bags of tissue are usually allergic in origin. They can occasionally protrude outside the nostril.
  • Skin cancer. These raised lesions with an ulceration in the center usually grow larger with time. They are painless, but need to be removed.
  • Nasal granulomas. These can occur from inhaled particles. They are seen in some cocaine users.
Tumors of the nose. These can include adenomas, carcinomas, inverted papillomas, squamous papillomas, hemangiomas, Wegner's granulomatosis and more. A biopsy is usually needed to make a diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
What are the treatment options for non-allergic rhinitis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatments for non-allergic rhinitis vary, depending on severity and type of symptoms. If your sympt...
Should I talk to my doctor about my non-allergic rhinitis symptoms?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Symptoms such as nasal congestion are related to non-allergic rhinitis and can recur year-round. In ...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?