Can blood thinners cause nosebleeds?

Yes, blood thinners cause just that, a thinning of the blood. Once bleeding starts it can make bleeding harder to stop. And areas of the body where small vessels are closer to the skin, such as in your nose, are more predisposed to opening up to the environment and bleeding.
Nosebleeds are very common and occur when the fragile blood vessels in the nose are irritated. Blood thinners can cause or worsen nosebleeds. The blood thinners make clotting more difficult; therefore, it may take longer to stop nosebleeds when someone is on blood thinners.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
Why do I keep getting bloody noses?
There are two types of bloody noses. In this video, Dr. Oz discusses the kind of bloody nose to ...
How do I care for someone with non-allergic rhinitis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
If you are caring for someone who has non-allergic rhinitis, there are things you can do to help the...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?